Monday, February 22, 2016

500 Words, day 3



My 500 Words
And The Winner Is … ME!

Day 3 of 365

          Silly title, I thought when I wrote it, but it is the entire truth! The winner is me, the prize, loving loyal family and friends. I wrote about my good friend, Rebecca the last time. Tonight, I want to share my friendship with Volch. I always smile when I tell people about him because we have shared many years of friendship, yet sometimes I forget just how much I value him.
          Our friendship started out as ‘just’ co-workers. He seemed okay when I first met him, then he kinda grew on me!! I have to tell you a story he shared with me, and I have to tell you, I knew he was a person I wanted to share my ‘world’ with. Volch was taking his now wife, Donna, on their first date. John is a true gentleman’s gentleman (well until him and my brother get together!!) and he shared with me that on his first date, he let Donna go ahead and order her meal. Then he ordered according to what he had to spend, which included the tip! His first thought (other than Donna), was to do the right thing by the server. If you have ever had a job waiting tables, you know how much it means when people leave that tip. It’s their livelihood. It’s how they pay those bills. I know, I was one of them at one time. J Proudly. It’s a job that nobody thinks matters, but when someone steps up and considers the server in his budget, I have to step back and look at what a caring person that is.
          Volch and I, being in the same profession for probably the same amount of years, know the ropes. Know the ins and outs of the restaurant life. Just because your job title is “this”, does not mean when “that” needs done, you aren’t expected to jump in. Just because your hours are “scheduled”, doesn’t mean when that last order comes in, or someone wants “this” in an hour, you are not free to leave. Life in a restaurant is sometimes overwhelming, but it’s a life you learn to love, and the people, who started out strangers, become your family. Restaurant life isn’t about any sort of glamour if you are not the chef. He/she is the only one that gets recognition in that hole you call the kitchen, even if you are the one who has done the job. My Volch and I have been there together for many years and if you don’t respect your co-worker, it makes for a miserable existence. But Volch is that one that if you are busy and can’t get a break, slides you a sandwich and smiles because even more than that sandwich, you need that smile. Volch, has come to my rescue on many occasions. Not just MY rescue, he is the first one to run over to the dish area and start helping. He is there when parties go out, plating and garnishing and pulling a fast one (or a crop dust), just to lighten the mood. Early in the morning you will find Volch checking in orders and putting them away. No grumbling, no questions asked. He is there to help everyone in any way he can.
          He is not who he is when he is my co-worker, he is who he is all the time. That guy… is the same guy when we are sitting around a bowling alley talking and laughing. He is the guy that pulls out his wife’s chair. He is that guy that you LOVE to go places with. I can’t imagine my life without him. He truly is a brother to me. And his wife, like a sister. When we meet for supper or even just run into each other out and about, he is the one that you can always count on to make the day, evening, event just a little bit better.    "Friendship marks a life even more deeply than love. Love risks degenerating into obsession, friendship is never anything but sharing." ―Elie Wiesel
          As I sit here tonight and think of all the great times we have shared, not only as co-workers, but as friends, I am beyond blessed. From times at work when we were bored to tears, to the times we celebrated Mother’s Day, Member Guest, Trim the Tree, New Year’s Eve, Easter, Thanksgiving, the pool opening, THE POOL CLOSING, the beginning of golf season to the END of golf season… Chef Gino, Chef RICHARD J , Greg, Chef Noah, no chef, 6 chefs, Chef Bob… Rita, Salomé, and the 9 million people that came and left, I am glad that even in my leavings and returning’s and leavings and booting’s… you have remained the dearest of friends to me.
           I love you JohnPaul!! Thank you for your being a bff and a brohammer all at the same time.

"A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow." ―William Shakespeare

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." —Albert Camus

"Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit." ―Aristotle

"Only a true friend would be that truly honest." —Shrek

"A strong friendship doesn't need daily conversation or being together. As long as the relationship lives in the heart, true friends never part." Anonymous


938 

No comments:

Post a Comment