Wednesday, October 14, 2015

John Denver Kind of Day




You fill up my senses like a night in the forest, like the mountains in springtime, like a walk in the rain, like a storm in the desert, like a sleepy blue ocean. You fill up my senses, come fill me again.
John Denver. Love him or hate him, he is iconic. Annie’s Song is my alarm song. So each morning around 6:15 am, I wake to Come let me love you, let me give my life to you, let me drown in your laughter, let me die in your arms, let me lay down beside you, let me always be with you. Come let me love you, come love me again.
By the same token, he is pretty popular around here with Sheila attending  West Virginia University . The school’s theme song is Almost Heaven. Actually the STATEs song is Almost Heaven. There isn’t a moment that on our way down to WVU or on our way home from WVU, that we don’t ALL belt out :
"Take Me Home, Country Roads"
Almost heaven, West Virginia, Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River.
Life is old there, older than the trees, younger than the mountains, blowing like a breeze.

Country roads, take me home to the place I belong.
West Virginia, mountain mamma, take me home, country roads.

All my memories gather round her, miner's lady, stranger to blue water.
Dark and dusty, painted on the sky, misty taste of moonshine, teardrop in my eye.

Country roads, take me home to the place I belong.
West Virginia, mountain mamma, take me home, country roads.

I hear her voice in the morning hour, she calls me, the radio reminds me of my home far away.
And driving down the road I get a feeling that I should have been home yesterday, yesterday.

Country roads, take me home to the place I belong.
West Virginia, mountain mamma, take me home, country roads.

Country roads, take me home to the place I belong.
West Virginia, mountain mamma, take me home, country roads

Take me home now, country roads,
Take me home now, country roads. 



I love that child.  I love her free spirit. I love her smile. I can’t imagine her not being that sweet precious child/woman that she is. Last summer I found a keychain on Pinterest that was the shape of WV. I bought it in the bronze and had them print ‘Almost Heaven’ on it. She loved it!!

I think God’s timing was perfect when He called John home. He is a legend that will not ever be forgotten by those of us that have loved him all along. Here is one of my favorite songs. I loved this as a teenager… 

"When I'm Sixty-Four"
When I get older, losing my hair, many years from now.
Will you still be sending me a valentine,
Birthday greetings bottle of wine?
If I'd been out till quarter to three, would you lock the door?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?

You'll be older too. And it you say the word, I would stay with you.
I could be handy, mending a fuse when your lights have gone.
You can knit a sweater by the fireside
Sunday mornings go for a ride.
Doing the garden, digging the weeds, who could ask for more?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?

Every summer we can rent a cottage,
In the Isle of Wight, if it's not too dear. We shall scrimp and save.
Grandchildren on your knee: Vera, Chuck & Dave.

Send me a postcard, drop me a line, stating point of view
Indicate precisely what you mean to say,
yours sincerely, wasting away.
Give me your answer, fill in a form, mine forevermore.
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four? 



Teenager. When I was a teenager, I remember liking all the songs my friends liked. Heart, Terrible Ted, ACDC, even Nazareth had a song or 3 that I liked. That Blinded by the Light, which I cannot recall who sang that, and Aerosmith, but whenever I brought home Aerosmith, my mom broke it into pieces. I was not your average teenager in some ways. When I was alone in my room ( which I chose to be more times than not ), my  music of choice involved John Denver, Jackson Browne, Phoebe Snow, Jimmy Buffett and Neil Young.
The first time I heard When I’m Sixty Four, I remember  hoping that I had someone that loved me by that time in my life.  We can always Hope, right!!  Another one of my favorite songs by John was:


"Daydream"
Yes, I been dreaming about you every day, each and every day.
And I been thinking about all night long, I even wrote a song.
Just to try and tell you how I really feel, to make you understand my love is real,
that you're on my mind all the time, I wish to God you were mine once again.

I remember talking to you, I remember walking with you,
I remember laughing all the time when you were mine.
Now the days seem so long, I can't face the night alone,
I beg you please, won't you please come home.

I remember talking to you, I remember walking with you,
I remember laughing all the time when you were mine.
Now the days seem so long, I can't face the night alone,
I beg you please, won't you please come home.



I often wondered, why… if my parents loved each other enough to be married to each other, why they didn’t love like the music I listen to. How can 2 people be married and not want to hold hands, kiss ALL THE TIME, and cuddle on the couch? Well, then I got married!! Hahahaha, I know life takes over and things get in the way, but I didn’t want to be that way. I wanted a husband that wanted to kiss me so passionately that we would forever be in love. Guess that wasn’t meant to be for me, but I still have John Denver on CD !!!

Isn’t THIS what we all dream of: 
"Follow Me"
It's by far the hardest thing I've ever done, to be so in love with you and so alone.
Follow me where I go, what I do and who I know, make it part of you to be a part of me.
Follow me up and down, all the way and all around, take my hand and say you'll follow me.

It's long been on my mind, you know, it's been a long, long time.
I'll try to find the way that I can make you understand
the way I feel about you and just how much I need you
to be there where I can talk to you when there's no one else around.
Follow me where I go, what I do and who I know, make it part of you to be a part of me.
Follow me up and down, all the way and all around, take my hand and say you'll follow me.

You see, I'd like to share my life with you and show you things I've seen,
places that I'm going to and places where I've been.
To have you there beside me and never be alone,
and all the time that you're with me, then we will be at home.

Follow me where I go, what I do and who I know, make it part of you to be a part of me.
Follow me up and down, all the way and all around, take my hand and I will follow you.

Dreams. I suppose we all have them. Dreams of happy ever after, and someone to make us laugh til we cry, and not cry til we sleep. Dreams…
"Sail Away Home"
Sail away, sail away home. Sail away till you are gone.
You have so far to go, there's so much that you don't know.
Dream away, see what you find, yeah. Dream away, it's all in your mind.
Things that you'd like to see, things that you'd like to be.

Somedays… wouldn’t it be great to just sail away from it all… Eh, I guess we all feel like that from time to time, but we have anchors that keep us sane.  J 













This morning is just perfect. Well, its COLD, but I love that. The fireplace was started early, no need to waste fuel. When I wake up in the mornings I am awakened by 2 huge windows and a beautiful sliding door out to the deck. Today it must have rained during the night, because it was just glittery on the deck. 

I like to get up so that Brenden doesn’t have to  get off to work by himself. I make sure there is hot coffee (or iced tea…depending on the season) and an English muffin or toast. When he leaves, the quiet of  the morning overtakes my soul. Sometimes I crawl back in bed and just watch  the birds or the squirrels play in the yard. The leaves are turning and the light is coming later and later. Its  quiet, and I kind of wish my husband  was  with me, but I have peculiar habits in the morning, so perhaps its best. We had separate bedrooms when we were nearing the end of our marriage, and I don’t think my 2nd slept in bed after about 6 months of marriage. So, an empty bed doesn’t bring any sorrow. Sometimes it just brings … loneliness but I  have my ‘kids’ who have been my consolation for many years now, and I am okay with that.

 Today we have the cable guy coming to  do something with the  wi-fi. I think its too slow, so I am having it tweaked. I’d like to have cable, but we have  a DirectTV so… not now. 

Brenden was offered a position in Ft Meyers and will be making a decision by the 1st of  the year if he is moving or not. After the cable guy leaves we are going rock shopping. Don’t ask. I am on a kick… 

Tomorrow morning Brenden leaves for South Carolina to see his dad and little brother. Pretty soon we’ll be taking Carolina trips to see my sister and brother in law. Thankfully Briana’s love has taken  a position with a major financial company here, so after her year contract is up, I suspect things will start moving towards marriage. Although, she got an offer from a major Pittsburgh sports franchise, so we’ll see. She said she hates the hot all the time, and this is her home. Even if her folks aren’t here, this is where she will be making her home. Sheila, will be heading to Melbourne Australia if her research  pans out she will be there for a year to  do research. She wants to go back to Madagascar, they are offering a 2 year research position , housing included. Ahhh to be young and smart and have that gypsy soul !! 

Welp.. this old gal has to get a shower wait on the wifi / cable guy. Hope its Larry… I could use a chuckle today.
Have an AMAZING day!!








    John Denver killed in plane crash
    October 13, 1997
    SALINAS, California (CNN) -- Singer and songwriter John Denver, whose '70 hits such as "Rocky Mountain High" and "Take Me Home, Country Roads" gained him worldwide fame, was killed Sunday when his small aircraft plunged into Monterey Bay, officials said Monday. He was 53.
    His remains were positively identified by the Monterey County Coroner's Office through fingerprints obtained from the state of Colorado, Monterey County Sheriff Norman Hicks said. The National Transportation Safety Board was pursuing details on the cause of the crash itself, while the sheriff's coroners will be investigating the circumstances surrounding the cause of death, he said.
    "We share a sense of shock and loss to our community, our nation and the world, and we extend our heartfelt sympathy to the many friends, the family, and the many admirers of John Denver," Hicks said at a Monday news conference.
    Denver was piloting the two-seat light plane along the California coast when the engine failed shortly after 5 p.m., plunging him into ocean waters just past Monterey Bay.
    He was believed to be the sole person on board the single-engine fiberglass plane, which he owned. It was considered an experimental aircraft, said Pacific Grove police Lt. Carl Miller.
    It took officials several hours to positively identify Denver's remains.
    Denver owned a home on Monterey Peninsula, a coastal area south of San Francisco, and visited the area often, Hicks said.
    Lt. Dave Allard, spokesman for the Monterey County sheriff's department, said an autopsy would be conducted Monday. Toxicology tests, standard for fatal crashes, also will be conducted, he said.

    Teri Martell, whose sister Annie was the singer's first wife, had told CNN early Monday that Denver "was a very experienced pilot." Martell said Annie was told he was practicing taking off and landing when the accident occurred.
    Denver was in a previous plane accident in April 1989. He walked away uninjured after the 1931 biplane he was piloting spun around while taxiing at an airport in northern Arizona.
    In 1995, a flight instructor sued Denver for a runway run-in at Jackson Hole Airport in Wyoming. The instructor alleged the singer was piloting his Christen Eagle in 1994 when the airplane taxied into the flight instructor's Cessna.
    Denver's career
    Denver had 14 gold and eight platinum albums in the United States, and was popular around the world. According to Sony Records, Denver's current label, he is one of the five top-selling artists in the history of the music industry.
    In addition to music and television awards, Denver also received recognition from several environmental groups for his advocacy of his beloved Rocky Mountains. Then-Colorado Gov. John Vanderhoof named Denver the state's Poet Laureate in 1974. Denver lived in Aspen since the early 1970s.
    Born Henry John Deutschendorf, Denver traveled throughout his childhood. After studying architecture at Texas Tech, he went west in 1965 to pursue a career in folk music.
    John Denver's Most Popular singles
    His first taste of musical success was in 1969, when the folk trio Peter, Paul and Mary recorded Denver's "Leavin' on a Jet Plane," which went on to become the Number 1 song in the country. Denver's voice first hit the charts in 1971, when "Take me Home, Country Roads" went to Number 2.
    "Country Roads" was Denver's first million-seller. A string of hits followed in the 1970s, including "Rocky Mountain High," "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" and "Annie's Song," an ode to his wife. They separated in 1983 and later divorced.
    In 1977, Denver made his big-screen acting debut in "Oh, God," opposite George Burns. He made occasional acting appearances over the years, but was better known for his television specials. Denver appeared in several Christmas shows, including two with Jim Henson's Muppets.
    In 1984 and '85, Denver was one of the first Western artists to tour the Soviet Union following a resumption of cultural exchanges with the United States. He was also one of the first Western artists to go on a multi-city tour of China, in 1992.
    Denver at Earth Day

    Standup comics and newspaper cartoonists leapt on a 1988 "Aviation Week & Space Technology" report that Denver asked Soviet space officials to launch him to the Mir space station. The cash-strapped Soviets were reportedly considering the idea, with a price of $10 million.
    Denver's legal troubles have made headlines in recent years. Charged with driving under the influence in 1993, Denver pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of driving while impaired.
    He was again charged with DUI when his Porsche ran off the road in his Aspen, Colorado, neighborhood in 1994. The trial for that charge ended with a hung jury in July 1997. Denver's defense argued that the singer's thyroid condition made alcohol tests unreliable.
    In August 1997, "The Best of John Denver Live" reached Number 47 on the country album charts. It was Denver's first chart appearance since 1988.



 and finally...


"The Wings That Fly Us Home"


There are many ways of being in the circle we call life.
A wise man seeks an answer, burns his candle through the night.
Is a jewel just a pebble that found a way to shine?
Is a hero's blood more righteous than a hobo's sip of wine?
Did I speak to you one morning on some distant world away?
Did you save me from an arrow? Did you lay me in a grave?
Were we brothers on a journey? Did you teach me how to run?
Were we broken by the waters? Did I lie you in the sun?

I dreamed you were a prophet in a meadow, I dreamed I was a mountain in the wind.
I dreamed you knelt and touched me with a flower, I awoke with this: a flower in my hand.

I know that love is seeing all the infinite in one.
In the brotherhood of creatures, through the Father, through the Son.
The vision of your goodness will sustain me through the cold.
Take my hand now to remember when you find yourself alone: you are never alone.

And the spirit fills the darkness of the heavens. It fills the endless yearning of the soul.
It lives within a star too far to dream of. It lives within each part and is the whole:
it's the fire and the wings that fly us home, fly us home, fly us home. 





No comments:

Post a Comment